Top Ten Reasons I’m Glad I Was Born in the 80′s

As the big 3-0 looms on the horizon I am reflecting back on when I was a youngin’… ;-) Kids “these days” have a lot of advantages, in some ways. But some days, I feel kinda sad for them too. Why? Because they missed out on ….

Source: amazon.com via Hazel on Pinterest

Wrapping themselves up in the cord of a phone while you talk for HOURS with your best friend about… well, not a lot really. This would prompt getting yelled at by both sets of parents … you  just saw them at school, WHAT COULD YOU POSSIBLY BE TALKING ABOUT?!?!

Source: google.com.au via Amanda on Pinterest

Not only was Super Mario Brothers EASIER and more fun to play during this time period. It taught the important lesson of having to take turns when you played two player. You’d actually have to wait for the person to take their turn before you got yours. Imagine that. Not to mention, these cartridges were SO MUCH more durable. Oh it stopped working? Just give it a good blowing out, and it’s good as gold.

Source: google.com.my via Gina on Pinterest

I don’t know about you, but I spent HOURS on making mix tapes. Sometimes taping the songs from the radio, or from the record player. Or tape to tape. These babies were a LABOR OF LOVE. If someone made you a mix tape, it was a sign that you were important to them. Because, we all know what happens if you accidentally tape over the last part of the song…. you gotta start ALL OVER AGAIN. Not that that ever happened to me. I never threw a mix tape across the room in anger. Never.

Source: shopbop.com via Meagan on Pinterest

Stirrup leggings. Now, I can pass off my hot pink version of these as a childhood indiscretion. I didn’t know what I was doing. I WAS SO YOUNG. Now? These adults that are trying to bring them back? They have NO EXCUSE.

Another childhood indiscretion. Crimping. And because I had curly hair, I would actually STRAIGHTEN my hair in order to then crimp it to be cool. Sigh. Sorry, hair. From the bottom of my can of Aqua Net.

Source: google.com via PCOSChick on Pinterest

I got my style tips from Punky (except the leggings, that style tip came from Paula Abdul). And I’m not really ashamed. She might be part of why I’m a social worker, I always felt bad for her. And sometimes I would pretend that I was an orphan too, and I was only allowed to eat applesauce (I don’t know).

Playing outside! With other kids! Without any pieces of technology! OMG! I know, right? We had to MAKE UP GAMES. We got called into dinner by parents screaming our names out the front door. Everyone in the neighborhood knew us and we couldn’t get away with anything.

Saturday morning cartoons. ‘Nuff said.

Source: google.com via Laura on Pinterest

We got Michael Jackson when he was good. And by good, I mean Bad! Really, really bad. You know it.

Source: google.com via Kristi on Pinterest

Music videos. They were a little strange. A little flashy. And they usually didn’t make sense, but we loved them! And I certainly made a lot of “music videos” with my Mom’s 50lb camcorder (my favorite being one to “Heaven is a Place on Earth” by Belinda Carlisle in 6th grade – it was epic).

I may be hesitant about turning 30 (only because some things are so different than I imagined), but in all reality I am thankful to be born when I was. To know a life without being constantly connected to something electronic. To remember a world that was a little simpler, and a little bigger. And full of mix tapes. I really miss the mix tapes. How about you? Are you happy that you were born when you were?

****

Happy Monday, everyone!

****

Linking up by list with Stasha over at The good Life for Monday Listicles!

This entry was posted in growing up and tagged , , , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

18 Responses to Top Ten Reasons I’m Glad I Was Born in the 80′s

1. Blond Duck says:

I loved my little ponies!
    Blond Duck recently posted..Magical Monday: Grown UpMy Profile

2. Best.Post.Ever. Seriously, I love it. I am totally sharing it on my FB page. Because, I, too remember everything you said. I laughed out loud at the blowing in the Nintendo game. It worked every single time. Happy almost birthday!
    thedoseofreality recently posted..The Great Summer Adventure SeriesMy Profile

3. misssrobin says:

I’m 42 so I remember all those things and more. Yes, I’m happy to have been born when I was. I imagine my kids will say the same thing some day. Nostalgia is so powerful, isn’t it?

Thanks for sharing. I loved remembering the tangled in the phone cord thing. Although the phone I remember was a rotary dial.
    misssrobin recently posted..Why Doesn’t the World Stop?My Profile

4. Raquel says:

Great post! Gosh how did we get along without the internet back then? I’m in my 40′s and I can totally relate! Stopping in from SITS.
    Raquel recently posted..Cranberry Chip Pecan CookiesMy Profile

5. Wayne says:

A top ten post if there ever was one.
    Wayne recently posted..Monday Quiz About MeMy Profile

6. Sweet nostalgia! So I LOL’d that you straightened your hair to crimp it. How long did that take? I didn’t ever have a crimping thing. But there was a way that you could reverse the curling iron for the same effect. I crimped my bangs ;-)
    Kenya G. Johnson recently posted..Monday Marketing 17My Profile

7. I graduated high school in 1981. All those things were a big deal in my days of living large and fancy free.
    SouthMainMuse recently posted..$1000. Ten Things. Heck Yeah.My Profile

8. I don’t mean to brag, but I’m kind of a mixed tape queen. I had a whole series of them called “d-tapes.” The d stood for driving, because we were all very cool and drove around and listened to the mixed tapes. Ahhh, memories. Playlists just aren’t the same!
    another jennifer recently posted..My 3 Favorite Resources for Staying OrganizedMy Profile

9. Ah, such memories! The best were the ones playing outside without technology. Seems inconceivable now.

And Mario Brothers? I played that for HOURS. I actually managed to rescue the Princess too.
    Rach (DonutsMama) recently posted..Monday Listicles: Stasha’s Giving Away Money!My Profile

10. Rach says:

I too am a child of the 80′s and I feel the exact same way…I would have hated to be born these days! Being a child of the 80′s was great….growing up in the 90′s wasnt too shabby either!! This reminds me of this song….huge over here in ireland at the moment, not sure if its gotten to the states yet!

video is kinda weird but the song is catchy!
    Rach recently posted..It all comes around…My Profile

11. Erin says:

OMG! Total blast from the past!!!! I remember all of these things. I hate to admit it, but I hit the big 3-0 in November . . . uggg good bye 20s.
    Thanks for the memories :)
    Erin recently posted..Father’s Day FAILMy Profile

12. Robbie says:

I had a phone like that exept it was peach-to match my peach and seafoam green room.
    Robbie recently posted..Show Me the MoneyMy Profile

13. Love this list. Made me want to be ten again. Then again I never crimped ;)
    Stasha Becker recently posted..Monday ListiclesMy Profile

14. OMG, you’re so young! ;-)
    You’re still right: the 80′s rocked. Well, except for the aweful outfits we wore back then. And the perms ;-)
    I still have mix tapes from back then. I even bought a little device to help me digitize them before they die, never got around to it so far, though.
    And yes, I’m definitely glad to have been born when I was (in the late first half of the 70s). There’s so much kids today are missing out on.
    RelaxedNoMore recently posted..Please send your loveMy Profile

15. Just Jane says:

I actually threatened to make a mix tape for someone this weekend. But, with the caveat that I wasn’t cool enough to own the technology required to make a mix tape so it was going to have to come in the form of a zip file.
    Just Jane recently posted..Safety DanceMy Profile

16. Becky says:

Oh you young one, you ;) I’m with ya on most of these. But, confession time, Michael Jackson has always given me the creeps. I *get* that his music is epic and all that, but I just can’t/couldn’t enjoy it becacuse of his creep/perp factor. The day I got my OWN PINK phone in my room = like the best day ev-uh! Another of my 80′s loves – Jane Fonda. And leg warmers. Pure awesomeness.
    Becky recently posted..Activity PacketsMy Profile

17. Danyelle Franciosa says:

Hahaha I agree with you. Videos during 80′s are strange and weird. 80′s now compared now is truly different. Glad to know why you are glad now and be happy always! :)
    Danyelle Franciosa recently posted..bi-fold doors brisbane web-siteMy Profile

18. mom2kmjx2 says:

Ahh the 80′s they were good, weird but good. lol Thanks for the flashback.
    mom2kmjx2 recently posted..GeocachingMy Profile